Skip to Content
The Watson Firm, PLLC The Watson Firm, PLLC
Call Us Today! 850-607-2929

How Much Car Insurance Do I Need?


Highway traffic

In Florida, all drivers must carry car insurance on their vehicle. Obtaining the proper amount of insurance coverage is important to avoid paying someone out-of-pocket if you cause their injuries, and to avoid paying out-of-pocket for your own medical expenses if you are injured by someone who has no insurance.

Notably, Florida has the highest rate of uninsured motorists of all U.S. states. With many different options on insurance coverage, it can be confusing to figure out how much you need. Let’s take a look at what Florida requires, as well as the different coverage options that may best help protect you in the event that you are involved in a car accident.

Florida Insurance Law Requirements

According to Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV), all vehicles registered in Florida must carry insurance consisting of Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and Property Damage Liability (PDL).

No matter who is at fault, PIP will need to cover 80% of all necessary and reasonable medical costs resulting from the accident, up to $10,000. PDL covers any property damage caused by the insurance holder or anyone driving their vehicle.

Florida requires a minimum of $10,000 in coverage for both PIP and PDL. You must carry insurance on your vehicle even if it is not in use or is inoperable.

Insurance Coverage Options

Insurance companies provide a wide range of coverage options. While many people simply opt for the minimum required coverage, you may find that minimum coverage is largely insufficient. With medical bills reaching unprecedented heights, and the vehicle repair or replacement costs being equally expensive, it may be wise for you to carry additional coverage.

Taking a closer look at the state minimum requirements, the average cost of a new car is roughly $30,000. As a result, PDL coverage of only $10,000 may not cover the costs to repair or replace newer vehicles. Further, in the event that the damage to the vehicle exceeds your policy limit, you may be responsible for the difference out of pocket. Unless your income and assets are minimal, it is recommended to buy at least $35,000 in PDL.

Uninsured & Underinsured Motorists

If your car is struck by a hit-and-run driver or by a driver who does not have sufficient coverage, then you will be responsible for your own property repairs and medical bills associated with the accident. Uninsured and underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage provides coverage in those situations. It is recommended that you buy this coverage in the same amounts as your PIP and PDL coverage.

Experienced Florida Car Accident Lawyers

At The Watson Firm, PLLC, our attorneys are devoted to protecting the rights of clients who have been injured in car accidents. Our experienced personal injury attorneys can advise you as to your options and are prepared to aggressively pursue all remedies against those responsible in order to get you the compensation that you deserve.

Please call our Pensacola car accident lawyer at (850) 607-2929 or contact us online to consult with experienced counsel regarding your case right away.