If you have been involved in a car or truck crash in Florida, one of the most important things you can do is call 911 and get a police officer to the scene as soon as possible. This is particularly important in car accidents where people are seriously injured, but it is important for even relatively minor collisions.
Here are several other reasons you want to have a trained police officer on the scene after a crash:
- Help with the injured: If someone is injured, a police officer can help. Most officers are trained in first aid, but they can also make sure an EMS crew and ambulance come to the scene as soon as possible.
- Traffic control: In many accidents, vehicles can be all over the roadway, causing a potential hazard for secondary crashes to happen. An officer on the scene can alert oncoming vehicles to either slow down or stop, directing traffic around the crash area.
- Take witness statements: An officer is trained to investigate accidents and develop a scenario of what happened and how the crash occurred. This includes interviewing witnesses and taking notes. After an investigation, the officer will put together a crash report. This report will have everything that the officer observed and heard. These reports can be integral in subsequent litigation to prove the defendant’s negligence and fault. The report will also include information about anyone injured or in pain, which can be used to support the plaintiff’s claim they were injured in the wreck.
- Issue citations and tickets: The officer can issue citations and tickets to the at-fault driver for violating traffic laws. Tickets and citations can be used as supporting evidence if any future litigation to prove that the defendant was at fault and caused the injuries. The investigating police officer can be called as a witness at trial to testify to what they observed or if they issued any citations or tickets and why. If you are involved in a car or truck crash, no matter how minor, call the police – especially if someone was injured in the accident.
- Protection: Sometimes, after a crash, people can get pretty angry and hot under the collar. There are often fights and assaults, especially if there is a dispute about who was at fault. If a police officer gets to the scene quickly, they are trained in deescalating these types of situations and preventing people from harming one another. If you are involved in a car or truck crash, no matter how minor, call the police.
Florida Car Accident Lawyer
Remember to contact the police if you have been involved in a car accident. They can ensure those who are injured receive complete medical care. They can also document critical evidence regarding the accident and collect useful items, such as witness statements. After you’ve contacted the police, your next call should be to a personal injury attorney. A Florida car accident lawyer can ensure your interests are protected and that you are compensated for your injuries.
If you are injured in a car accident and want a skilled professional in your corner, call (850) 607-2929 to schedule a consultation with an experienced personal injury lawyer. We can review the details of your case and help you get compensation and justice.